Hello Stormbounders! A new version of Stormbound is coming early March, bringing balance changes, new cards, new avatars, some UI improvements, some exclusive offers as usual and most importantly, the Heroes League!
While I have your attention, please wear a mask and avoid unnecessary travels—especially if you live in an area with rampant COVID-19 cases. It takes everyone’s effort to slow down this pandemic. Do the right thing. 🙏
This release, like any other, brings some balance changes.
- Fortification Tonic’s mana cost is now 3 on all levels (up from 2).
- Hairy Chestnuts’ strength is now 12 at level 5 (down from 13) and its ability drains 2 at level 5 (down from 3).
- Hunter’s Vengeance’s mana cost is now 3 on all levels (up from 2).
As usual, some compensation in the form of coins and fusion stones will be provided to owners of , proportional to the level and rarity of the card. Find below the compensation values for each rarity and level.
- Common card: 10 coins at level 2, 20 coins and 1 fusion stone at level 3, 50 coins and 2 fusion stones at level 4, 120 coins and 5 fusion stones at level 5.
- Rare card: 15 coins and 2 fusion stones at level 2, 30 coins and 3 fusion stones at level 3, 90 coins and 7 fusion stones at level 4, 190 coins and 10 fusion stones at level 5.
- Epic card: 15 coins and 2 fusion stones at level 2, 40 coins and 5 fusion stones at level 3, 120 coins and 10 fusion stones at level 4, 250 coins and 20 fusion stones at level 5.
- Legendary card: 1 fusion stone at level 1, 20 coins and 5 fusion stones at level 2, 50 coins and 10 fusion stones at level 3, 150 coins and 20 fusion stones at level 4, 300 coins and 50 fusion stones at level 5.
On February 26th, the next temple card will be released—Temple of Space, a new legendary Ironclad structure with an interesting teleportation mechanic.
When played with a friendly copy on the board, teleport 2 surrounding units from it, then destroy the older copy. Otherwise, return to the hand.
When played with a friendly copy on the board, teleport 3 surrounding units from it, then destroy the older copy. Otherwise, return to the hand.
When played with a friendly copy on the board, teleport 4 surrounding units from it, then destroy the older copy. Otherwise, return to the hand.
When played with a friendly copy on the board, teleport 6 surrounding units from it, then destroy the older copy. Otherwise, return to the hand.
When played with a friendly copy on the board, teleport 8 surrounding units from it, then destroy the older copy. Otherwise, return to the hand.
On March 19th, the very first common dragon card will be introduced—Flameless Lizards.
As usual, two exclusive packs will be available for 7 days starting from their respective release date:
Five new books will make their entrance in the next update: a Pirate book, a Feline book, an Elder book and a Dragon book, each containing 3 cards of a specific type and costing 60 rubies as well as an Archdragon book with 3 dragon cards costing 120 rubies.
- Book of Pirates: 3 cards, with rarity distribution of 55/25/15/5.
- Book of Felines: 3 cards, with rarity distribution of 50/30/15/5.
- Book of Elders: 3 cards, with rarity distribution of 0/60/35/5.
- Book of Dragons: 3 cards, with rarity distribution of 20/60/20/0.
- Book of Archdragons: 3 cards, with rarity distribution of 0/0/70/30.
If you are curious about your odds of finding a specific card or type of card when opening books, remember that we have a handy book calculator. It’s also available on Discord through the
March will introduce a brand new league: the Heroes League! It is an additional league after Diamond which can be reached on a monthly basis by passing beyond Diamond 1.
This league does not have the same ranking system as the others—instead it has a scoring ladder. Players move along that ladder based on the amount of Hero Crowns they own, also known as their Hero Score (HS for short). Owning 1,500 Hero Crowns is the same as having a Hero Score of 1500. These are gained and lost after each ranked game performed in Diamond and the Heroes League (see formula below).
When entering the Diamond league, every player is granted 1,000 Hero Crowns to start with. As they progress through Diamond, they already collect (or lose) Hero Crowns (see calculations below). When finally passing Diamond 1 and entering the Heroes League, the amount of Hero Crowns collected represents the current Hero Score—provided it is above 1000. If the Diamond progress was difficult and a player was to enter Heroes League with less than 1,000 Hero Crowns, their score would be set to 1000.
At the end of the season, players having reached the Heroes League will be down-ranked back to Diamond 5, their Hero Score will be reset, and they will receive a Heroes League chest containing:
- 20 common cards (+6 from Diamond)
- 16 rare cards (+4 from Diamond)
- 8 epic cards (+2 from Diamond)
- 3 legendary cards (+1 from Diamond)
- 3,000 coins (+1200 from Diamond)
- 100 rubies (+50 from Diamond)
Players within the top 500 of the ladder will gain additional rewards as follow:
- The 1st player in the ladder will earn 100 fusion stones, a Book of Archdragons, a Book of Felines, a Book of Dragons and a Book of Pirates.
- The 9 other players in the top 10 will earn 50 fusion stones, a Book of Felines, a Book of Dragons and a Book of Pirates.
- The 90 other players in the top 100 will earn 25 fusion stones, a Book of Dragons and a Book of Pirates.
- The 400 other players in the top 500 will earn 10 fusion stones and a Book of Pirates.
This is your friendly reminder that we have a nice income calculator to figure out how many resources you make across a given time frame. It has been updated with this release’s changes already!
The formula used to update a player A’s Hero Score (S) is a variation of the Elo rating system used in chess, amongst other games. It looks like this:
Here are the terms:
- S’A is the new Hero Score
- SA is the current Hero Score
- K is the coefficient factor (sometimes named “K-factor” in Elo rating systems) and works like in FIDE:
- K = 40 for new players until they have played 30 matches in Diamond or Heroes league
- K = 20 for players rated below 2400
- K = 10 for players who ever reached 2400 during the current season, regardless of their current Hero Score
- W is either 1 in case of a win, 0 for a loss
- SB is the opponent’s score; the difference between SA and SB is capped to 400 to avoid causing too much fluctuations in case of uneven matchmaking
To calculate your new expected Hero Score from the aforementionned variables, be sure to use the Hero Score calculator.
To apologize for the server issues during the last discounted Brawl, we decided to make the Brawl starting on February 25th cheaper as well: all matches will cost two thirds of their original price!
Here are the adjusted values for every milestone:
|Required crowns||Cost per match||Reward once reached|
|10 crowns||0 coins (0)||1 Humble Book|
|20 crowns||15 coins (-5)||5 rubies|
|35 crowns||35 coins (-15)||1 Classic Tome|
|50 crowns||70 coins (-30)||10 fusion stones|
|70 crowns||100 coins (-50)||1 Mythic Tome|
|95 crowns||135 coins (-65)||1 legendary card|
|125 crowns||170 coins (-80)||50 fusion stones|
|160 crowns||200 coins (-100)||250 rubies|
|200 crowns||270 coins (-130)||5 legendary cards|
|250 crowns||335 coins (-165)||200 fusion stones|
To calculate how far you can go with a given amount of coins, or how much it will cost you to reach a certain milestone, be sure to use the Brawl calculator. It makes it possible to define a certain Brawl discount as well.
This release will bring some quality of life and interface improvements, starting with a way to add the player you just battled as a friend!
There will also be a dozen new avatars costing 1,000 coins featuring cards from the game as well as 14 new exclusive premium avatars which can be unlocked for 200 rubies each!
One thing to note is that already claimed first-time rewards (for achieving a new rank) will no longer show up on the reward list next to the rank.
The release will also introduce a lot of other small UI tweaks here and there, as well as many bugfixes.
- When is the update going to be released?
- Temple of Space will be released on February 26th, and Flameless Lizards on March 19th. The Heroes League will be available from March onwards.
- Can I be in both Diamond and Heroes?
- No, you are either in the Diamond league or in the Heroes league, but never both. However, when you are in Diamond, you already collect Hero Crowns but your score is not taken into consideration on the Heroes league leaderboard.
- Can I start increasing my Hero Score while in Platinum?
- No, amongst all regular leagues, only the Diamond one takes the Hero Score into consideration.
- How can I check how many Hero Crowns I have?
- When you are in Diamond, you can already see your score in the Heroes League leaderboard, only it is marked with an info icon (?) that says you do not belong to this leaderboard yet.
- Is the daily check-in calendar going to continue in March?
- Yes, the daily check-in calendar will continue in March, and can be boosted to Premium for $5 like previous months. The rewards are not finalised yet, but they will be similar to the ones from January and February.